Dear fellow members and friends:
It is with sadness that I report the obituary notice of Larry Page, one of the founding members of SBE Chapter 80. Larry provided the host site for the organizational meeting at WLFM, Lawrence University, Appleton back in 1981.
Those of you who knew Larry might wish to visit the web page listed below and view or sign the guest book.
Obituary from the Appleton Post Crescent.
The November newsletter is now posted on the Newsletter page.
Thanks to all of you who have supported the Kwik Trip Gas Card fundraiser over the past several years. Thanks to eight dedicated participants and the generosity of the Kwik Trip organization, we have raised about $4,000 (40% of our goal). We originally set out to raise $10,000 in order to fund our annual obligation to the Don Borchert Fellowship Foundation at the Wisconsin Broadcaster’s Association without having to “pass the hat” on an annual basis. I am proud that our membership has helped get us to this point.
Kwik Trip has announced changes to their fund raising program which will effectively reduce the donation from 10% of the gas card purchase to 5% plus a bonus if the card is spent on in store merchandise. I predict that this will mean about a 6% or 7% donation instead of the 10% we have enjoyed for the past three years. While this is a bit disappointing, we are still grateful for what Kwik Trip is doing and hope that we can make up the difference by getting more participation in the program.
Here is Chapter 80’s plan to deal with these changes:
- First, encourage all existing participants to continue as they have been – this has been a terrific fund raising program that really is quite painless for our participants! Keep up the good work guys!
- Second, try and encourage more participation and more sales. The people who have done this successfully have just made it part of their routine with regular purchases – it is hassle free and cost free for participants. Just requires a few simple changes of habit.
- Chapter 80 will pre buy as many gas cards as it responsibly can before the end of the year to maximize the fund raising benefit.
- Chapter 80 will look into another fund raising program with another area gas station/convenience store group who offers a similar fund raising plan. If compatible with our group’s goals, we plan to offer another option in case that is more desirable to our membership.
- Encourage all members to at least ask a participant how it works for them so they can determine if this program is something they could support.
- Offer the heartiest of “thank yous” and congratulations to the participants who have gotten us to this point: Tim Laes, John Pfankuch, Steve Brown, Mike Steele, Mark Friedman, Bill Hubbard, Rita Brown and Keith Kintner. These individuals have purchased approximately $40,000 in gasoline, car washes and convenience store purchases on behalf of SBE Chapter 80 and the Don Borchert Fellowship Foundation. Seems like a huge number but it was done a tank of gas and a sandwich at a time. Thank you all for helping the Chapter.
Please contact me if you have any questions or would like details on how you can participate. You can buy the gas and gift cards at most local Chapter 80 meetings or we can arrange to securely mail or otherwise deliver them to you. Some members have actually set up automatic payments to the Chapter and receive a card or two monthly at intervals that are convenient to them. Easy and convenient! Consider trying it!
Steve Brown [email protected] [email protected]
The October newsletter is now online. We hope to see everyone at the WBA Broadcast Clinic next week and wish all attending safe travels.
The Fox Valley Wisconsin Chapter of the Society of Broadcast Engineers is proud to
announce the selection of Tim Laes as the Chapter 80 “Engineer of the Year”.
Tim is the Director of Engineering for Midwest Communications of Green Bay, a group owner of over 60 radio stations in several states in the region. In his role, he has helped the company in all stages of acquiring, building, rebuilding and repairing studio and transmitter facilities in many markets. This often requires long hours, many travel miles and time away from home and family.
Tim has been an active SBE member since 1996, serving as a local frequency coordinator for the Chapter since then and also holding the office of Chapter Chairman from 2010 to 2012. He is currently Vice Chairman of Chapter 80 and serves on the Executive Committee. Tim is also an active supporter of Chapter 80’s fund raising activities.
Tim still manages to find time to generously extend assistance to smaller broadcasters who may not have an engineer of their own, repairing sick transmitters and audio consoles and nursing otherwise neglected stations back to health. He is generous about sharing his knowledge with others and does so with humility and a sense of humor. Tim (W9EE)
also is an Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator and enjoys his ham radio hobby when time permits, especially on 40 and 160 meters. Tim serves two local area ham clubs as a volunteer examiner too.
Tim has been married to wife Lori for 19 years and has three children at home: Reanna (16), Caden (14), and Cash (9).
The September newsletter is now posted. Check it out.
Pictures from our 2014 picnic can be found on our Facebook page.
The August newsletter is now posted. Check it out. More information on our August meeting is in the newsletter.
Pictures from the July 2014 meeting and tour of the Lambeau Field video board operations area are available here.
We are now on Facebook and Twitter! Like us and follow us for updates.